Benchmarks for excellent teaching

I recently received in the mail a catalogue from The Great Courses. It took me a while to realise that this is the Australian incarnation of what used to be called The Teaching Company. I first encountered the latter at the recommendation of my father-in-law. The company sells DVDs, and CDs of some of the best undergraduate lecture courses from (mostly) US universities. I previously had my department buy a copy of The Joy of Science, 60 lectures on science for non-science majors. Just watching a few lectures challenged the clarity and simplicity of my own lectures.
On the personal side, I have really enjoyed listening to CD's of most of the series How to listen to and understand great music. I was challenged to make my teaching more interesting.
Don't balk at the prices because they often have 70% off sales. For example, right now the Chaos course by Steven Strogatz and the Quantum Mechanics course by Ben Schumacher are on sale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Herzberg-Teller coupling?

Is it an Unidentified Superconducting Object (USO)?

What should be the order of authors on a conference poster or talk?